Saturday, March 20, 2010

Driving Slow, Judging Slow (San 36b)

I've heard that when I have kids, I'll stop speeding. I've heard that having kids makes you slow down and think about your actions: maybe being five minutes late to that meeting, isn't actually worth the heart ache of an automobile accident?

Oddly, this sentintiment comes up in today's daf. In it we learn that  judges of a capital case cannot fall into three categories: they cannot be old, they cannot be a saris (an adult who never reached puberty) and they cannot be childless. According to Rashi this is because a judge in these cases must either have children at home or have the recent memory of having children. Rashi goes on to explain that this is because children make a person more compassionate. However, I would add to this statement. I think children can also make a person more mature. In many cases a child can make a person realize that the little things that used to bug them (like being a little late), don't mean so much.

While I have problems with judging those who choose not to have children, I like the underlying message in this post. We need to have judges that consider cases carefully, who not only drive slower, but judge slower, throwing out rashness and petty concerns and ruling with a clear and mature head.

No comments:

Post a Comment