Thursday, February 25, 2010

Kitzur Chapter 34- The Laws of Charity

Being that this is my first post on the blog, I just wanted to thank Marc for encourage me to document my thoughts as I study the Kitzur Shulchan Aruch. I've been studying for a couple of months now and am looking forward to posting on a somewhat regular basis.

Jill - your post made me think a lot about the chapter I just studied, so here are my 2cents..

I just finished chapter 34 of the Kitzur which deals with laws of charity and giving tzedakah:

Living in New York, those in need constantly approach us in the subways and on the streets for money. I generally follow the advice of Mayor Bloomberg and tell myself that I will give to organizations and not to the homeless person on the street. Tradition teaches, however, that it is "forbidden to turn a person away empty-handed," citing Psalm 74:21 which states, "Let not the oppressed turn back in disgrace." When we do feed the hungry person, it should be the best and choicest food at our table. If we have nothing to give the beggar than we should console him or her with words.

I must admit that I have not developed a practice of how to give to those who ask on the street. The halacha makes a lot of sense actually - treat people with dignity. If you can, provide them with the best meal that you can. In the least, say a kind word to them and console them through words. Like Jill said, I often do things out of convenience or if I feel the person asking seems "deserving." Sometimes I give to performers if I like their act, other times I want to give but only happen to have a twenty-dollar bill in my pocket so that person that might have gotten my dollar misses out on a hot cup of coffee.

It's easy to say that we as Reform Jews take social justice seriously, and I know many of us feel like we've had this conversation before, but for me at least, it usually ends at the conversation, and while I always think about it every time someone asks me for money, I've never developed any kind of serious practice as to giving in the street. Maybe it's as simple as keeping some dollar bills or quarters always on hand so that I might be able to fulfill this law of giving to those who ask. Maybe it's simply looking people in the eye as I say "I'm sorry, I don't have any change." If there is one new piece of Jewish law that I can take on and take seriously, it is this one.

5 comments:

  1. A fitting post in light of Dr. Rabbi David Ellenson's speech today at the Hebrew Union College. He explained that if we want to know about an organization or person we just need to look at their budget. This is the true show of their priorities.

    As you've explained maybe it's time to move charity up on one's priority list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evan, I share your struggle. The homeless man that often sits on the grate behind HUC has become the symbol for me. His presence troubles me, and I never know what to do for him. Happening upon him next to a rabbinical school seems particularly haunting, evidence of the the brokenness in our world. You cite the line saying that it is "forbidden to turn a person away empty-handed" but I wonder what to do when they don't even ask for help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the blog!

    Can't wait to read more about what you're studying!

    Your commentary raises important questions. Questions without answers, unfortunately. I try my best in the subway, but I, too, am often cashless. For now, I'll have to settle for doing the best that I can as often as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Struggling with this issue is probably one of the most important reasons for studying at the NY campus. NYC forces me to reevaluate my ethics every day. A while ago, I started a practice to give a dollar every day to one person who asked. When it was gone, it was gone... At first this made me feel better, but then I started feeling bad that I was denying people based on pure luck... Also, I don't always do it. Sometimes I don't have any cash on me or I'm on my cell phone or can't get to my wallet or whatever... then I think, I'll give to the next person and usually feel guilty the rest of the day. Hard stuff. a constant struggle. good to have you Evan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Evan,
    You've hit on dignity, which is fundamental to the Jewish law of tzedakah. Apropos, I recommend supplementing your Kitzur study of charity with a reading of a responsum by R. Shlomo ibn Adret (Rashba), section 3 of his responsa, responsum #380 (Makhon Yerushalayim ed.)

    ReplyDelete