Monday, February 15, 2010

Cool New Blog

Check out a new blog by John Crimmings, Examine the Contents. His latest post uses a cool metaphor of a magic eye to explain how he views text:
If yesterday I learned to embrace the arbitrary, today I learned that I will need to embrace confusion.  Sanhedrin 3 introduces the Gemara's response to the Mishnah in Sanhedrin 2, which means we're back to discussing the intricacies of monetary rulings and the required number of judges, and whether said judges should be ordained, or know about finances, or have brown hair or black hair, be a Democrat or Republican, etc, etc.  I had a hard time following the arguments and details, and rather than map out with flow charts the twists and turns of each claim, I'm going to settle in with my confusion and hope that some sense pops up.  Like starring at a Magic Eye poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment