Tuesday, April 27, 2010

An Answer Already (San 73)

Yesterday I asked a question about the meaning of a Rodef (pursuer). I knew that a rodef (someone pursuing someone else in order to kill them) could be killed by someone else to save the victim's life. However I wasn't sure if it applied to rape or assault. Last night's daf gave me my answer.
If someone is pursuing his fellow to kill him, or a male (to rape him) or a betrothed women (to rape her) or a women for him relations are punishable with a court-ordered execution (ex. one's sister), in all these cases, we save the intended victim from attack at the cost of their pursuer's life. 
Although this answers my question, I'm not sure what impact it has on my previous post. Does expanding the definition of a rodef make it easier to include mental illness or self worth in this? Or perhaps by narrowly defining it we actually inch out the idea of mental illness because it doesn't conform perfectly with the above categories? I guess it's up to how one reads the rationale for this rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment