Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Heresy may be many things but it's not boring (Avodah Zarah 17a)

Why does our daf today tell us to stay away from heresy?

According to the Marharsha we are warned to stay away from heresy because engaging with it is "intellectually pleasing" and therefore we might be drawn into wrestling with its ideas.

I want to state openly that I both read and enjoy many of the things traditional Judaism calls heresy. And I'm not the only one. Read thinkers like Rabbi Sacks and you will see that there are traditional Jews who do the same (it's not just the liberals).  I'm studying Spinoza in a small group and it might be one the most fulfilling things I learn. Part the reason I love it is because it is so intellectually stimulating. His arguments are clear, his attack on those who disagree with him is biting.

It's interesting to see that the Maharsha comes to the same conclusion about these types of ideas, but chooses to condemn this practice of study.

No comments:

Post a Comment