Tuesday, August 17, 2010

How To Spend a Day (Avodah Zarah 3b)

I really like the way God spent his day before the destruction of the Temple. Here's the breakdown (of a 12 hour day):

First three hours: God studies Torah
Second three hours: God judges the world
Third three hours: God provides nourishment for the entire world
Final three hours: God plays fetch with his pet (the Leviathan)

If only I had the discipline to model this in schedule in my everyday life!

Imagine beginning the day with spiritual nourishment. I imagine a regimen of study would give me insight, energy, and passion to continue throughout the whole day. Then after gaining inspiration, I would get to work. God judges the world, I answer e-mails, field phone calls, and do the "tasks" and are expected of me. Once I finish with my work, I turn to volunteering. God gives food and nourishment to the whole world. I would work at a soup kitchen or help out at an afterschool program. Finally, I end with possibly the most important part of my day, recreation and time with my loved ones. God plays with his pet. I go out to dinner with my fiancé or go out with friends.

The wonderful thing about God's schedule is that it is diverse. Knowing how to diversify one's life is the easiest way to avoid burnout.

There's a great text in the Talmud (Sotah 14a) which tells us to emulate God's deeds. God clothes the naked. So should we. God visits the sick. So should we.

Here we learn that God balances learning, work, loving acts, and play. Even if not everyday, even if not equally, why can't we experience all of these in a given week?

3 comments:

  1. Marc, do you use Artscroll? Because if you do, I can't quote anything from there - you know at anyway - but I should go to maybe Ben Ish Chai and Zohar to add stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, artscroll. Why do you ask?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So that I don't quote from Artscroll to you

    ReplyDelete